Herbal Healing Salve Uses
Humans have practiced the art of healing with herbs for millennia. In the modern world, it is hard to envision a time when there were no drug stores and patented pharmacological medicines. But when the world was a simpler place, apothecary herbalists and botanists harvested roots, berries, seeds, leaves, bark and flowers to make the concoctions needed to soothe an irritation, heal a wound or cure an ailment.
Herbal healing salves: a time-honored remedy
Herbal salves are simply infused herbal oils combined with some type of wax – usually beeswax – to thicken them into a solid state at room temperature. Some salves can contain finely ground or pulverized components of the herbs themselves. These salves are for treating local conditions; the effects target the area of the body on which they’re applied.
Our skin is absorbent but it is selectively absorbent, meaning it is particular about what gets through its layers and into our bloodstreams. Because the main ingredients forming herbal salves into a solid at room temperature are oil and wax, these soothing remedies sit on the skin and are not as quickly absorbed through the skin’s layers.
Uses for healing salves and balms
Herbal healing salves are the time-honored first line of defense for first-aid treatments a family looks to for soothing burns, scrapes, wounds, bruises, diaper rashes and other such maladies. Some popular uses for these treatments may include:
- Treatment of poison oak, poison ivy or sumac reactions
- Cracked, dry skin.
- Hives, psoriasis or eczema.
- Insect bites, stings, sores including bed sores in the elderly or inflamed bunions.
- Minor burns and sunburn.
- Blisters, boils, abscesses and other skin ulcers.
- Rashes of various types, including fungal infections such as ringworm.
- Minor wounds, scrapes and cuts.
Make your skin the best it can be
If you’re concerned about chemicals and preservatives commonly found in retail skin-care products, herbal salves and balms may be just what you’re looking for.
Salves and balms are the thicker, most nourishing option when moisturizing the skin, so it is not something you’ll want to use under makeup. Many salves and balms are also usable on lips and on dry or rough spots all over the body.
Bee Happy Essentials handcrafts a variety of healing herbal salves. These therapeutic herbal salves are handcrafted with organic herbal infused olive-oil, organic butters & oils, organic essential oils & resins and organic beeswax.
- AFTER SUN SOOTHER – Cocoa & Shea butter along with aloe vera gel and calendula and chamomile infused olive oil help soothe, settle and heal sunburned skin – $9.00 (CUSTOM ORDER)
- ITCH RELIEF SALVE – A powerhouse combination of plantain and arnica flowers & calamine sooth itches & bug bites – $8.00 (CUSTOM ORDER)
- CALENDULA SALVE – A soothing and skin-softening salve crafted with calendula-infused organic olive oil and lavender essential oil- $8.00 (YEAR ROUND)
- CREAMY COMFREY SALVE – Comfrey and plantain infused olive oil and nourishing shea butter aid in the healing of various bruises, sprains and painful muscles – $8.00 (CUSTOM ORDER)
- ESSENTIAL SOOTHING SALVE – A great all-purpose salve infused with chamomile and plantain for a variety of skin irritations, cuts & scrapes, dry skin and more – $10.00 (YEAR ROUND)
- BABY BUM SALVE – Gentle Lavender and Frankincense tears are perfect for
- calming and healing diaper rash and heat rash – $9.00 (CUSTOM ORDER)
- HERBAL BLACK DRAWING SALVE – Herbal black drawing salve is a blend of ingredients that create an ointment used topically to help heal skin inflammation, boils, insect bites and splinters. – $8.00
- HEADACHE BALM – Get natural headache and migraine relief through a blend of botanical ingredients, castor oil, magnesium and essential oils, historically used for reducing pain and swelling, soothing nerves, alleviating tension and creating a sedating effect. These ingredients, combined with organic coconut oil and beeswax create a balm that relieves headaches and migraines. – $9.00
Highlight on Ingredients
• Shea butter is a favorite of mine because it adds just the right thickness while helping treat any skin irritation and aid in cell regeneration.
• Benefit-rich coconut oil is a phenomenal antibacterial properties it contains.
• Calendula-infused olive oil ~ Calendula is an amazing flower that offers true antibacterial benefits. The acids that are found within the oils of the calendula plant are both antimicrobial and antiviral.
• Activated charcoal helps remove toxins from the affected area while reducing any itchy feeling.
• Vitamin E oil since it is the perfect healing agent, reducing inflammation while speeding up cell regeneration.
• Tea tree oil makes a great partner with loads of antibacterial benefits and can help prevent any infection.
• Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) has natural pain relieving properties and promotes mental clarity.
• Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) has many benefits including: loosens mucus, eases headaches, and is antiseptic.
• Castor oil is great for relieving mild aches and pains because of castor oil’s anti-inflammatory properties.